2013 Traffic Safety Message Contest
Make an impact with your art. Your poster or PSA could save lives.
For more than 50 years, AAA has reached out to students of all grade levels to better educate young people about safety in and around traffic. This annual contest gives students the opportunity to demonstrate proper skills and behavior in regard to pedestrian, bike and school bus safety, seat belt and child restraint use, and safe driving practices.
AAA Southern New England’s Traffic Safety Message Contest invites Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut students to create a poster and/or Public Safety Announcement (PSA) video illustrating a powerful creative message their peers can recall. Beginning this year, AAA Southern New England members will be included in the judging process.
Traffic and automobile crashes are the leading cause of death for children ages two to 18 years. One student’s message could save a life!
Topic categories and artwork formats vary by grade level. All students must base their artwork on the categories listed below.
Students have the option of submitting an audio/visual PSA, an illustrated poster, and/or a graphic arts poster. Students may choose one topic category for their grade level from the list below.
Elementary (Grades K-5)
Pedestrian and Child Passenger Safety:
- Play Away From Traffic
- School Bus Safety
- Proper Use of Booster Seats
- Helmet Use
- Night Time Visibility
- Pedestrian Safety
- Bike Safety
- Obey Your AAA School Safety
- Patrols/Crossing Guards
Junior/Senior High (Grades 6-12)
- Buckle Up
- Don’t Distract the Driver
- Dangers of Using a Cell Phone or Changing the Radio/CD While Driving
- Following Bike Safety Rules
- Alcohol Awareness
- Distracted Driving
- Helmet Use
- Aggressive Driving/Speeding
- Safety Belt Use/Buckle Up
- Drowsy Driving
Illustrated or Graphic Arts Posters:
- Relationship of the entry design to proper traffic safety practices
- Originality of how idea is expressed in the design
- Creativity and its execution
- Visual impact of the design
- Relevance and creativity of slogan
- Audio/visual entries must be PSA format and no longer than two minutes in length.
- Originality, creativity and the relationship to traffic safety apply as described above.
All categories must display/depict proper use of traffic safety principles.
Grand Prize: $1,000
One grand prize winner will be chosen for an entry in any format, grade level or state (MA, RI or CT).
1st Place: $300 | 2nd Place: $200 | 3rd Place: $100
1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will be chosen for each state (MA, RI and CT).
Honorable Mentions: $50 honorable mentions will be chosen for each grade level in each state.